Puppy and Kitten Care
At Wrentham Animal Hospital, each puppy and kitten's care is customized based on its specific needs and lifestyle. Similar to children, puppies and kittens require additional physical exams and vaccination boosters to ensure appropriate immunity.
Our recommendations for your pet's first year include:
- Comprehensive physical exams every 3-4 weeks starting at 8 weeks of age. During these exams, the veterinarian will fully examine your pet and look for any congenital abnormalities. Also, these visits allow veterinarians to administer vaccinations at appropriate intervals.
- Vaccinations: Due to immature immune systems, puppies and kittens require a series of properly timed vaccines. We recommend vaccinations based on the lifestyle of your pet as well as breed.
- Diagnostic tests: We recommend that all kittens be tested for feline leukemia (FeLV) and feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) at their first visit and that puppies be tested for heartworm disease as early as 6 months of age. Also, fecal testing is recommend at the first visit and often repeated to look for intestinal parasites, some of which can be transmitted to humans.
- Spay and neuter: Spay and neuter recommendations are made on an individual basis for all cats and dogs and takes into consideration the breed and lifestyle of the pet.
- Microchip: Microchipping is recommended for all cats and dogs and can be done at any age. It is a safe way to help reunite any pet that could be separated from their family.